TechniDrill’s Gundrilling Systems
- Drilling systems based on custom or standard solutions
- Diameters from .031″ to 2.00″
- Standard single-spindle and up to six-spindle machines.
- Multiple spindles help make thousands of parts every day.
- Single-axis to multi-axis capability
- Depths up to 96″ or more.
- Part stationary or counter rotating of the work piece for high accuracy.
- Special custom designed part fixtures to suit your application.
Gundrilling is the process of drilling long or deep holes, first used in the making of gun barrels more than 100 years ago. Today’s technology with refined machinery and tool design has made gun drilling a reliable high production method for drilling short holes as well as deep holes.
The gundrill consists of a hollow tube with a “V” shaped groove or flute along its length and a carbide cutting tip designed in such a way as to produce its own guide, bushing as it drills the hole. High pressure coolant is introduced into the center of the drill tube through the spindle of the gun drilling machine to help break and evacuate the chips along the “V” groove of the tool and out of the hole.
Gundrilling provides excellent surface finish to straight holes with a very close tolerance. Gundrilling is able to produce holes as small as .031″